Swimming in the ocean makes me feel free from everthing, I’m able to relax, reflect and refresh but last weekend, I challenge myself to push down deep the sea floor and I realized its not just a feeling, I’m actually free down here and I love it, so let me tell you the story of my experience.
I thought I’m already capable of exploring the sea because I know how to swim and I know somehow I can dive but then I realized I’m actually just wandering the surface above and and it makes me think, what it feels to swim down below with the fishes, between corals and on the sand, so I join the free diving activity with hiking challenge of the Vertical Freediving Group in facebook. The experience is great and I was able to do things beyond my limits.
The group offer different lessons about free diving and of course, I took introduction to free diving and rescue. For swimmers like me who think they knew everything already, I guarantee that the first topic is really important. I’ve learned a lot of things to do and consider when you want to free dive.
For non swimmers, you don’t need to worry because you will definitely learn from the coaches, all you have to do is to take your first step into learning and wanting.
The activity is really fun and you will not feel like your enclosed into a classroom, the coaches are joking, fun to be with and really approachable. There is always time for a good laugh and stories. Also, no one will force you to do things if your not ready, what they do is they encourage you to try and let you know you can do it. It is a two day one night experience, check down below the sample schedule.
Sample schedule by Coach Ekai
*****SATURDAY AM SCHEDULE*****
- 08:00 – 8:30AM Registration
- 09:00 – 10:00AM Dry briefing(INTRO & NAVI)
- 10:00 – 10:30AM Self prep/go to dive area (please prepare 40 pesos for the fare)
- 10:30 – 11:00 AM water briefing
- 11:00 – 12:30PM Dive training/rotation game
******SATURDAY PM SCHEDULE****
- 12:30 – 2:30PM Lunch/siesta
- 2:30 – 3:00PM Dry briefing (RESCUE &ROPEWORK)
- 3:00 – 3:30Pm Self prep/go to dive area (please prepare 40 pesos for the fare)
- 3:30 – 5:00PM Fun dive (optional)
****** Overnight hiking to Mount Gulugod Baboy by Coach Miks – overnight stay and dinner
If you want to join his adventure visit his page in fb “@mixadventure” . He is the coach that organized the dive & hike challenge. I personally enjoy this challenge specially the games before we sleep
- 9:00 – 9:30AM Self-prep/Trek to dive site
- 9:30 – 10:00AM Water briefing
- 10:00 – 12:30AM Dive training/fun dive
******SATURDAY REMINDER FOR INTRO AND RESCUE****
- Look for coach Jay if you’re borrowing fins, mask, and snorkel and to get your dive log. ID is required for gear loan
- Look for coach Ekai for arms span and coach Tugs for lung volume measurement
- Take breakfast before 7:00AM, no more food intake an hour before the class
- Upon return at HQ, look for coach JAY and return the gears. (Don’t forget to retrieve your ID cards)
❗ If the gears are lost or damaged, the borrower will be responsible for its replacement cost. (Mask 600p Snorkel 150 Fins 900.)
THINGS TO BRING: by coach Ekai>
- Slippers that can get wet for foot protection.
- Sun protection. T-shirts/ rashguard/ swim caps and leggings.
- Save my number for if you get lost 09173078479
- Your gopro and a cord to tie the camera across your chest to keep your hands free.
- An ID to exchange for your rental gear
- A water bottle to keep you hydrated, you can refill at our refilling station.
- There is no reliable ATM so bring cash
If you want to learn free diving check their page in facebook and learn more details.
Facebook: Freediving Community
Follow me on my social media account for more travel blogs and vlogs.
Youtube: Rei Tanabe
Fb page: xtraordinarei