Drama, Variety Show, Pop Music and even their Spicy Noodles has been a phenomenal in the world. This country has been talk of the town, billboards, Netflix and YouTube. We can’t deny that its popularity is soaring high, that’s why it’s one of the top visited country in Asia and it’s no other than the Land of the Morning Calm, South Korea! But most of the girls knew it as Land of the Oppas (Big Brother)!
Annyeong chingus! Today join me as I give you the insight of what you can see in South Korea during winter season (Mostly in Seoul). Let’s start!
1. Nami Island – it is one of the most visited tourist spot in Korea not just because it’s beautiful but because Nami offers different vibe or feeling for every season South Korea has. Located at Gapyeon, Nami has 4 faces that makes you want to go to South Korea 4 times a year. Me and My friends went here during winter and I don’t know how to describe its beauty. Everything is white and brown and every time the snow falls it feels like a fantasy world. Nami island is also famous as it’s been used by many Famous Korean Drama, as a matter of fact they even have a statue of the Endless love winter sonata here.
Spot that you must not miss if you’re in Nami;
- The changing tall trees – I call it changing because it changes per season
- Winter Sonata Tributes
- Real couple snowmen
- First Kiss Bridge
- Life size statue of Min-Hyeong and Yoo Jin
- Winter Sonata Cafe
- Take a bicycle and explore the place, you can even do it using a COUPLE bicycle.
- Walk around the island
- Eat in their vegie and egg only restaurant.
Direction: If you’re not taking the Express Train
- From Myeong-dong Station, take LINE 4 train heading to the direction of Chungmuro Station to get to Dongdaemun History & Culture Park Station.
- When arriving at Dongdaemun History & Culture Park Station, change to LINE 2 and take the train heading towards Sindang Station to get to Wangsimni Station.
- When arriving at Wangsimni Station, change to JUNGANG LINE and take the train heading towards Cheong-nyangni to get to Mangu Station.
- When arriving at Mangu Station, change to Kyeonchung LINE and take the train heading towards Galmae Station to get to Gapyeong Station, which is our destination.
- From Gapyeong station take the shuttle bus to the Ferry Wharf
- Once in ferry, go to the booth to by Entry Visa to Nami island which include round ticket for ferry and entrance to Nami.
2. Petite France – another attraction in Gapyeon is the French like city inspired by the novel The Little Prince. This place has been used by one of the most popular drama “My Lover from another Star”. The place is simple but charming, it will surely captivate your heart with its romantic aura all over the place.
Things you should not missed!
- The Puppet Show
- Little Prince Museum
- Petite France Café and have their waffles.
Direction: 30-minute bus ride from Nami
3. Garden of Morning Calm – we didn’t have enough time to visit this place but according to my other friends who’s been here, the place is really colorful and it is sparkling with different colored lights. I’ll definitely visit this place next time.
I dob’t have pictures but I’ll just show you the massive snow we encounter.
Direction: 30-minute bus ride from Petite France
4. Visit their Palaces – Most of the big Palace of Korea can be found in the heart of Seoul so you don’t need to worry. Most of it might be walking distance from your chosen guesthouse.
- Changdeokgung Palace – One of the five grand palace that can be seen in Seoul.
Closed every Monday
- [Palace Tour]
Feb-May, Sep-Oct 09:00-18:00
* Last admission: 1 hour before closing
Adults (ages 25-64): 3,000 won / Group of 10: 2,400 won
Direction: Jongno 3(sam)-ga Station (Subway Line 1, 3 or 5), Exit 7.
Huwon (Secret Garden) – this is a garden surrounding the Changdeokgung Palace. Known for its beautiful flowers and benches. Place for relaxation.
Closed every Monday
[Huwon Guided Tour only]
Feb-May, Sept-Oct 10:00-17:30
Feb, Nov 10:00-17:00
Adults (ages 25-65) 8,000 won
Young adults (ages 19-24) 5,000 won
Children and Teenagers (ages 7-18): 2,500 won
Groups of 10: 7,400 won
Direction: Same as Changdeokgung
Gyeongbokgung Palace – the main royal palace and has been seen in the Drama Goblin.
Closed every Tuesday
Admission Fee: 3000 won
– Go to Gyeongbokgung Station (Seoul Subway Line 3) and Exit 5
Changing of Guards
Wearing of Hanbok and Royal Guard Uniform
5. Feel the old vibe in Bokchon Hanok Village – This is a traditional looking village surrounded by Palaces like Gyeongbokgung and Changdeokgung. You can go here with a tour that will bring you to what they call seven good spots to take pictures. The street of Bukchon has been used by many of the hit drama. Once you go here, make sure to stop by a small souvenir shop selling all KPOP and KDRAMA merchandises. The Ajumma (Aunt) there is so accommodating.
6. Visit Namsan Tower in the afternoon for sunset and evening for city lights.
Things to do
- Put a love lock in the viewing deck, locks are ranging from 5000 to 8000 won.
- Have a hot coffee just below the love locks
- Go up the Namsan Tower
- Just enjoy the view
Namsan Tower is just walking distance from Myeongdong.
You will pass by graffiti street that is really cool that’s why I encourage everyone to walk. 😊
7. Shop at Myeongdong – Myeongdong is famous when it comes to shopping because it can offer a lot of items from bags, shoes, makeup and street food, anything! I personally love going here for street foods. 😊
Get your discount coupon in this website or visit South Korea’s nearest Tourism Department.
We are able to shop a lot using this coupon and we are able to get a lot of freebies as well. Koreas discount coupon site
8. Shop at Insadong – Insadong is known for cultural items for souvenir though you can also see lots of bags and make up here.
9. Visit SMTown COEX for some Kpop vibe, Enjoy and bring out your inner fangirl and fanboy spirit.
Things to do:
Watch a concert at their Hologram Theater (this is a must) you will be amazed because they look real. it feels like watching the concert all over again. SM Artist for every show. Have a coffee at their café and Shop for SM Artist souvenir
Direction: Samseong Station (삼성역) Exit 6 – COEX Mall (direct passageway)
10. Lotte World – Indoor Amusement Park, I like the idea of the indoor amusement park for country like South Korea because during winter you can still ride the attraction without fearing of getting cold. The amusement park has been used by the famous Drama Stairways to Heaven
Ticket: You can avail cheaper ticket from KLOOK
1. From Myeondong go to Dongdaemon Historical Station
2. Then Jamsil Statiom.
3. Lotte is near Jamsil Station
11. EverLand – Biggest Amusement Park in South Korea. What I love about this amusement park is that it offers four season, Spring, Fall, Winter and Summer all year round. Also, you can find here the faster wooded roller coaster the T-Express. The park is also a zoo that can tour you inside cages of Lions, tigers, bears and the famous Panda!
– You can avail cheaper ticket from KLOOK
1. Go to Gangnam Station
2. Bus 5002 B In front of Who.A.U store (as per recommendation by most other travelers)
12. Try relaxing at their Saunas / Jjimjilbang. Below are the top 3 Jjimjilbang is Seoul
Spa in the Garden
All Jjimjilbang offers Saunas, pool, Garden, and Restaurant.
13. Ski / Snow Boarding at any of many skating rink in Korea. Most of the ski resorts offer bus transfer from specific location in Seoul. Vivaldi Ski Resort is one of them and they offer free bus ride from Myeongdong and Insadong.
Check out this website: https://www.funtastickorea.com/en/prod/basic-free-and-easy-vivaldi-park-resort
Or book a deal at Klook:
14. Wear Hanbok near bukchon hanok village or any of the palace – We did this during winter and it is really cold but still satisfying as we roam around Bukchon Hanok Village. We rented at oneday hanbok.
Get your deal at Klook
15. Eat Samgyupsal at any of the nearest beef / barbeque restaurant in your hotel. We did this just below Sinchon Guesthouse and it is delicious! The aunt is so accommodating and be ready to eat straight from their hands haha 😀
16. Have a bottle of Soju while enjoying Chicken on the very first snow fall char! – Chicken is kinda cheap here in South Korea and there are plenty of Restaurant that offer Chickens!! We tried at two two Chicken in Myeongdong
17. Visit their breath-taking university, we visited Hongdae and Ewa and I hope Philippines can have this kind of universities. Their architecture is really superb, some looks like a castle! Around this universities are store, street foods, café and malls that I sure you can enjoy
18. Party Hard in Seoul – there are a lot of party place in Seoul but I check out 2 of them, it’s the Hongdae near the Hongdae university station. This place is full of oppas at it is near the all boy university. There are underground bars/clubs that will surely make you move. The other one is Itaewon, this is actually a Gay Street as it is field with Gay bars and clubs but the place doesn’t stop there, all gender are welcome to party in this place and I can assure you, it’s crazy!
South Korea definitely has a lot of things to offer specially once you explore places outside Seoul. Let’s all travel and live our life the xtraordinarei way!
If you like this blog please make sure to share, follow and like. Your suggestions, comment and advise are also welcome, just comment it down here.
Follow me on my Social Media accounts:
Check out my vlogs too, it is posted in the youtube tab of this page.